Wednesday 11 January 2012

Cushion Chic

So...first bit of sewing to appear on the blog.

Before Christmas, I bought a lovely linen table runner from H&M because it was cheap.  Then the cogs started turning and I thought...why not turn it into a cushion?  It's going to be used a lot more than a table runner, which (let's be honest) will get two outings at most before disappearing at the back of a cupboard.  Cue The Boy telling me off for wasting yet more money on decorative stuff for the house!

So, first go on the new sewing machine was pretty smooth.  Once I got started.  Let's just say that loading the bobbin with cotton didn't go too well.  The Boy may have had to intervene in a technical capacity after I wound the thread round the loading pin one too many times!  But I'll know for next time and be marginally less useless then.

I didn't really appreciate how terrifying it would be actually cutting the material up.  That first snip with the "don't use these for anything else, they're very expensive" (mother!) scissors was performed with very shaky hands, but got there in the end!  And with no unpicking required (tres impressed with myself), this is the finished result...



And the back....  Rather neat seams, and even fancy text alignment even if I do say so myself!


Pretty pleased with my first effort overall, especially for working the whole thing out for myself.  Well, with a little of Mum's words of wisdom haunting me the whole time! 

What to tackle next....?

No comments:

Post a Comment