Sunday 16 August 2015

Sew Useless Strikes Again

I have a friend who is incredibly glamorous and classy and swears like a trooper. All a girl could want in a friend. But she does have one down side. Quite a big flaw. She makes her own clothes. And they're incredible. We're talking skirts, dresses, coats. The whole nine yards. Lined, piping, bias binding. The lot.

She's also one of those highly irritating people who are just way too nice. So she offered to help me make my very first item of clothing. Oh, if she had but known...!

I boldly handed her my 'Great British Sewing Bee' book (which mother acquired at a bargainous price), and told her I had decided upon a pencil skirt. Not the slightest concern to our lovely Sophia (the only person I know to own an overlocker), who merrily set about cutting pattern pieces whilst I did some shoddy ironing of my gorgeous fabric. On the plus side, apparently my ironing water smells divine!

I forgot to take progress pictures whilst caught up in the fever of watching her work. NB. she was also hungover, having attended a fancy dress party the previous evening in a silver space cadet dress of her own creation. I mean, she really takes the mick with her skills.

We cut and pressed and sewed and pressed some more - I sewed darts. Darts! Me! And they weren't all over the shop. Darts! Sophia overlocked, I pressed again. But alas I had wrongly bought a bog standard zipper foot instead of an invisible one. And a concealed zip that was two inches too short. The less said about that the better.

So we paused, with a cheery "you'll be fine to finish it by yourself" from Ms Oh So Super Talented.

Two weeks later, I have attempted to finish the job. Here is a photo of an IMMACULATELY sewn invisible zip. Yup. I did that. By myself. And it only took three attempts.



Unfortunately, this part seems to be integral to making the zip actually work. It does not, repeat NOT, help if you pull it right off the top of the zip when closing it.



So yeah, no pencil skirt for me! Nice fabric though. Now off to the haberdashery in town to see if they can fix my disaster so I don't have to attempt to unpick it all. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment